Friday, April 29, 2011

Nerd Culture

I refer to myself as a nerd quite frequently (exhibit #1: the header above). I get a wide range of responses to my proclamation.

Some people go with "Noooo! I don't think so!" which means one of two things. 1) They've never met me or 2) They put a negative connotation on the word "nerd".

The most common response is nervous laughter while they try to ascertain how I feel about my own label.

But the response that spurred this post is the admonishing "Don't say that!" Somehow, in the current heyday of geek chic, being labeled a nerd is still seen as an unfortunate occurrence.

I have no qualms about calling myself a nerd.  I wear it as a badge of honor.  I care about something(s) enough to be considered a nerd.

But then I really blow people's minds with the sheer diversity of my nerdscape.

Comics, Sci-Fi (not SyFy), computers, fantasy books, Star Trek/Gate/Wars, documentaries, music deconstruction, baseball stats, genre TV shows, gadgets, math......

Wait just a second my opinionated opiner, I like some of those things but I'm not a....nerd.


And here's where the conundrum comes in.  Given the current accepted definition of "nerd", everyone is a nerd about something.

Patton Oswalt may have written the best rant ever on this subject.  He points out that the internet gives us instantaneous access to a wealth of information that would have taken basement dwellers of old years to compile.

Why argue about how many episodes of Star Trek TOS had Kirk hooking up with a pastel-colored lady when all it takes is a quick Wikipedia search?  You want to own life-sized replicas of Ian Holm circa Alien AND Fellowship of the Ring?  Look no further than Ebay/Craigslist.  You might just find some herpes while you're there.

So, my dear reader(s), I say embrace your emerging nerdiness.  Accept your irrational obsessions.  And don't be afraid to read that Farscape/Care Bears crossover fanfic just because Karen in HR would think you're weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment